   RE: A certain difficulty

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:20:32 -0000

Eve L. Maler wrote:
> At 11:26 AM 2/23/00 +0000, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> In fact if
> >you re-read all the hype and 'promises' of XML, you'll find
> that XML on
> >it's own cannot actually implement them - RDF can.
>
> Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that "RDF with access to
> a whole bunch
> of standardized, stable semantics can"?

We've had the discussion on this list before about the Holy grail of
standardised vocabularies - my view was that I thought it was unlikely
to happen, and therefore to build systems as if it was would make things
restrictive. IMO one of the great things about RDF is that it doesn't
need this certainty and stability anyway. I build on your class, you
build on mine. By being about *resources* it's inherently able to cope
with dynamism.

Regards,

Mark