   Re: Architectural Forms and XAF

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 24 Feb 2000 12:51:45 -0500

David Wang <dwang@mitre.org> writes:

> I have a few questions about said AF and XAF.
>
> Namely, I have been searching around the web for a while now and
> have not seen any tool other than XAF that acknowledges the
> existence of Architectural Forms.

... and the reaction to XAF was very, very small -- enough so that I
decided not to devote any more time to it.  There are no other
implementations because people don't tend to jump in and imitate
also-rans (compare the proliferation of Simple API for * interfaces
popping up).

> Thus, I wonder if there are other tools out there that are AF-aware,
> or is there an inherent reason in the dearth of such tools?

James clark's C++ SP SGML library is AF-aware, and it can be made to
work with XML.

> On a related topic, I'm also wondering about the health of AF -
> where does it stand now?  I see a ISO/IEC 10744 document about it, a
> mention of XAF on Hytime.org, and a XAF site, but little else...

It's pretty-much dead in the water for now -- almost nobody uses AFs
or even bothers to defend them who wasn't part of the original DSSSL
or HyTime design process.  It's a shame, because they were a nice
idea.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/