   RE: A certain difficulty

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@east.sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:02:01 -0500

At 02:27 PM 2/24/00 +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
>If all you're interested in is representing a formal graph
>structure, then fine. But surely to be interesting we have to
>be able to _interpret_ this stuff (I'm intending the contrast
>between 'formal' and 'interpreted' here in the same sense it's
>used in semantic theories).

Yep.  There's a reason that there were Dublin Core folks intimately
involved with RDF's development...  Until we can make statements that share
semantics with other people's statements, I would think RDF is of limited
utility for creating the "semantic web."

         Eve
--
Eve Maler            Sun Microsystems
elm @ east.sun.com    +1 781 442 3190