   RE: XML Schemas: lost "open content models"?

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:23:29 -0800

I do not see any significant benefits from closed content models.
Requiring elements to be in a particular sequence nor disallowing
foreign tags between siblings or between parent and child nodes
is like casting information in concrete.  We need to focus more
on open content models.

My particular dislike for the current crop of schema initiatives
is that all of them seem to target the syntax layer instead of
the information model layer.  Current syntax-targeted approaches
decrease extensibility while increasing fragility of XML-based
documents.  Also, I find current obsession with document-level
schemas in conflict with the increasing trend toward compound
documents/streams.  Micro-schemas which define basic building
blocks are preferable to macro-schemas which define complete
document structure.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com