   Re: In praise of SVG

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:50:26 -0600

David Brownell wrote:

> Not till you count the rest of the 3D primitives that don't
> make much sense in a 2d environment, no ... I can't quite see
> the relevance of light sources and shading models in 2D! ;-)

Because you only have to build the model once, set the lights,
then animate motion to get all of the cool effects.   You can
do a lot with 2D, but you have to understand more to get effects
that come about serendipitously in 3D.  3D can have audio that
does what you can't do without a lot of experience in 2D.  IOW,
it all comes down to the fact that the screen is moreorless flat
regardless, but a 3D set of objects are a lot more interesting,
and easier to make more of at less cost.  Cameras, viewpoints,
multiple lighting sources, etc. are a slam dunk to work with
in 3D.

len