   Re: org.xml.sax.ContentHandler conflicts with java.net.ContentHan dler

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@Xml.Org>
  • Date: 01 Mar 2000 10:05:19 -0500

Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk> writes:

> That's true, but to be honest I don't care. Importing in '*' form
> isn't good practice because it hides dependency structure. That's
> not important in small projects, but once you get up to hundreds
> of packages and thousands of classes it can be a very big deal:
> try refactoring a significant chunk of code when you can't tell
> at a glance what depends on what.

Thanks for the support.  I've always considered import package.* to be
the sign of either

a) a novice (forgivable); or
b) expremely sloppy coding.

Mind you, there are times that sloppy coding is OK (such as whipping
up a quick demo).

I understand the concerns with both XMLReader and ContentHandler, but
I'm very reluctant to make changes this late in the SAX2 process, and
we've already spent a lot of time discussing the XMLReader name.  Do
people feel very strongly about renaming either of these?

All the best,

David

p.s. The names should work fine in C++.

           http://www.megginson.com/