   Re: The RDF model *is* part of the problem

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:26:02 -0500

Stefan Haustein wrote:

> In RDF schema, property names are global. In OOP, object
> properties are local to the defining class/interface.
> Thus, I would need to add the class name to the property
> name in order to avoid possible problems with name
> conflicst. I also could assign a new namespace to each
> interface or class. But both alternatives make the RDF
> code very ugly...

That is a deliberate consequence of the property-centric
nature of RDFS.  Properties are global and immutable, whereas classes
are open-ended: anyone can add properties to your classes,
even third-party properties, provided they respect the
range of those properties.  So if you understand a property,
you need not at all understand any class of objects to which
the property is applied.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>