   RE: org.xml.sax.ContentHandler conflicts with java.net.ContentHan dler

  • From: Bill dehOra <Wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: "'Elliotte Rusty Harold'" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:08:19 -0000

:I'm not sure I understand the objections to this style. Certainly
:it's prevalent. I used the single class import in my first book, but
:went back to import java.net.* after that to save space and time.

That's different. A compressed style is good for a book.

:Even accepting that "import java.net.*" is bad form, doesn't absolve
:us of the responsibility to avoid the problem in the first place.
The problem *is* avoided by not using wildcard imports. Java.net has thirty
something names, what's the justification for importing them all?

Suggestion. Retain the name and document the potential conflict in the