   Re: XLink - Assert linking relationships among more than two resource s

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@east.sun.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 00:05:17 -0500

At 04:17 PM 3/2/00 -0800, KenNorth wrote:
>Given a database scenario, the developer:
>- defines the relationships
>- declares the appropriate constraints
>- relies on the container to maintain referential integrity.
>
>I interpreted Hien's inquiry to be "How do I do this if I have two XML files
>instead of container-enforced referential integrity? Does XLink provide a
>solution?"

I see now.  XLink does not provide a solution; this would fall under the
purview of a separate link management application.  It is specifically not
in scope for XLink to provide database key-like functionality.

BTW, the scenario of a resource "going away" could be dynamic instead of
static.  For example, your stylesheet might suppress certain content when
the user is a customer instead of a technology partner.  If you have
suppressed away an ending resource, you'll want to be catch that before any
user tries to traverse a link to it.  There are several products for
managing this that I'm aware of in the XML authoring/publishing space, but
they're not XLink-compliant (yet!).

Hoping my extensive if misguided examples were useful nonetheless :-),

         Eve
--
Eve Maler            Sun Microsystems
elm @ east.sun.com    +1 781 442 3190