   RE: The RDF model *is* part of the problem

  • From: "Hunter, David" <dhunter@Mobility.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:26:26 -0500

From: David Megginson [mailto:david@megginson.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 12:46 AM

>   <acme:Person rdf:about="http://www.acme.com/ids/0001">
>     <acme:name>Jane Smith</acme:name>
>     <acme:birth-date>1970-11-17</acme:birth-date>
>     <acme:nationality>US</acme:nationality>
>     <acme:father rdf:resource="http://www.acme.com/ids/0002"/>
>     <acme:mother rdf:resource="http://www.acme.com/ids/0002"/>
>   </acme:Person>

Okay, this is where my brain just stops, and I expect the flash of light
which never comes.  We have this RDF serialization, and we have one from <I
think>Mark</I think>, like this:

>   <Person ID="3">
>     <url>http://www.acme.com/ids/0001</url>
>     <name>Jane Smith</name>
>     <birth-date>1970-11-17</birth-date>
>     <nationality>US</nationality>
>     <father IDREF="1" />
>     <mother IDREF="2"/>
>   </Person>

What I don't understand is what RDF buys us wrt object serialization.  I
love object serialization; I've worked on highly complex applications, which
used complex object models that serialized to XML.  But I don't get what RDF
adds to the picture.

Can someone provide the flash of light?  Even a flick of the bic would help
me here...  :-)

David Hunter
david.hunter@mobileq.com
http://www.MobileQ.com