   Re: Random XTech observations

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 11:51:26 -0500

One other point while we're talking about XTech - it was a relatively small
community of generally overworked people.  The XML community, especially
the set of people focused on XML rather than just applying it, really needs
to grow.  Far too many of the people I talked to (myself included) are
turning down exciting and/or lucrative work because there isn't enough time
to do it, and it's hard to refer the work to similarly overbusy people.

I'm hoping to spend the rest of the year trying in my various projects to
bring more people into XML, hoping to get new viewpoints involved and
generate excitement in new areas.  XML may someday be like ASCII,
invisible, but right now there's a awful lot of work that needs doing and
seemingly not enough people to do it.

I think XML and XML implementations have finally reached the point where I
can talk about this to Web developers in their own language, and I think
programmers are at a similar point where the tools are maturing, though
slowly.  Hopefully, we can provide some solid backing for the last two
years of hype.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth