   Re: Architectural Forms and XAF

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 100 19:23:54 -0500 (EST)

Steven R. Newcomb scripsit:

> I think the only major thing you left out was the possibility of
> exchanging content with the value of an attribute, and vice versa.

Ah, I must look further.  But XAF doesn't support this feature, I think.

> I think your formulation, while correct, could be worded a bit more
> understandably, albeit less succinctly.  Here is an attempt to do
> that:

Thanks.

> John, I'd be interested to know why you say that "meta DTD" is an
> erroneous (or perhaps misleading?) appellation for DTDs that are used
> as the formal expression of the syntactic constraints of base
> architectures.

Because "meta-" primarily refers to a higher (not just alternative)
level of description.  The term "meta-DTD" suggests a DTD which
describes DTDs, just as "metalanguage" is a language used to talk
about some other language (the "object language").

> Assuming you're right about that (and I'd have to
> guess that, having read your formidable contributions to this list,
> you probably are) I'd also be interested to know if you have a better
> alternative term for "DTD or other schema used as the formal syntactic
> model of a base architecture".

"Architectural DTD"?

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin