   Re: Random XTech observations

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:06:33 -0500

At 6:50 AM -0600 3/5/00, Steven R. Newcomb wrote:
> > 8. It's getting harder and harder to find an XML conference that's not
> >    mostly marketing presentations.  That's the inevitable price of
> >    success, but it was fun to be at a conference like the ones from
> >    two years ago, full of hard-core developers.  Thanks, everyone
> >    (especially to the co-chairs, Tim and Jon).

I suspect we'll do a pretty good job at the upcoming SD2000
conference in a couple of weeks, though it's not a pure XML
conference. I went through the XML proposals very carefully to try
and eliminate the marketing fluff, and I know I pissed off a few
people in the process.

One thing I think is crucial to running a conference with solid
speakers is actively recruiting and paying them. If you're relying on
self-selected people who can afford their own plane tickets and hotel
rooms, it's no great surprise you get a lot of marketeers pitching
products. This also helps you get presenters who know how to present.
The two most recent conferences I attended, the LinuxWorld and Bazaar
conferences in NYC, were mostly free of marketing fluff, but they had
a lot of open source hackers who clearly were more comfortable in
front of a monitor than an audience.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |