   Re: Random XTech observations

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <martind@netfolder.com>, "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:40:05 -0500

If you're relying on
> self-selected people who can afford their own plane tickets and hotel
> rooms, it's no great surprise you get a lot of marketeers pitching
> products

This is all very true.

In academic conferences the people speaking are academics, and one of the
perks of being an academic is that the University usually picks up the Tag.

Xtech2000 had all the hall-marks of being an academic conference without
the main speakers being Academic.

The thing that suprised me was how few naked pitches there were! In fact the
academic quality of the papers was extreamly hgh.

Frank