   RE: What is wrong with SVG?

  • From: James Robertson <jamesr@steptwo.com.au>
  • To: "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:49:34 +1100

At 10:30 7/03/2000, Tim Bray wrote:

>Actually, the attribute format does have one advantage.  XML 1.0 contains
>(IMHO) a design error whereby attribute values are "normalized", i.e the
>white space is condensed, line breaks are pulled out, and so on.  This
>would allow you to write
>
><path d="
>       100
>       100
>       200
>       200
>">
>
>and still have it show up in the app with just single space characters.
>
>Sigh. -Tim

I admit, I'm not really up on either SVG or XSLT, but:

Let's say you would like to manipulate the individual
points in a path, for example, displacing them in
space.

In the current condensed format, wouldn't this be
a practical impossibility using XSLT?

I've come to this conclusion by noting that XSLT
doesn't have regular expressions, and is therefore
able to do very little with content, of either attributes
or elements.

If XSLT is becoming the One True Standard, shouldn't
this be of concern?

Do I have this wrong?

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
jamesr@steptwo.com.au