   Re: What is wrong with SVG?

  • From: "Michael Champion" <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:44:12 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
To: "'Jon Ferraiolo'" <jferraio@adobe.com>; <xml-dev@xml.org>;
<www-svg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Arnold, Curt'" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 8:51 PM
Subject: RE: What is wrong with SVG?

> I am disappointed by this.  Am I to understand that the nature of the
> W3C's 'Last Call' is addressed to the W3C member companies only and
> not to the public?  If so, then I must conclude that the SVG spec
> is not a standard for general public.  I would appreciate some
> clarification on the real nature of W3C's Last Call.

See http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/tr.html#last-call

"The Working Group publishes a Last Call Working Draft in order to solicit
review from at least all dependent Working Groups (copying Chairs of known
dependent groups). External feedback is also encouraged...The Last Call
Working Draft must be a public document."

"Once the last call period has ended, all issues raised during the last call
period resolved, and the Working Draft modified if necessary, the Working
Group may request that the Director submit the document for review by the
Advisory Committee as a Candidate Recommendation. It is possible that
comments will cause substantive changes that require that the document
return to Working Draft status before being advanced to Last Call again."

So ... public feedback is 'encouraged", and must be "resolved". I believe
that "resolved" can mean something like "we considered Mr. Park's ravings
and decided that size DOES matter" ;~)

Basically, the WG, and ultimately the Director, must decide whether the
problems noted in public commentary warrant sending the spec back for
another round ... and since this is already SVG's second round of Last Call
(right?) it would have to be a BIG problem.