   Re: Structured attributes

  • From: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: 07 Mar 2000 15:37:25 +0000

Philip> Philip Nye <URL:mailto:philipnye@freenet.co.uk>

0> In article <38C38BB9.E5BFAFC3@freenet.co.uk>, Philip wrote:

Philip> I cannot quite follow your axioms here. Taking bare XML syntax
Philip> without reference to any particular schema language, I would
Philip> rephrase the table thus.
Philip>
Philip>               Elements            Attributes
Philip> Ordered?      schema dependent    schema dependent
Philip> Uniqueness?   schema dependent    schema dependent
Philip> structured?   schema dependent    No
Philip>
Philip> Am I wrong? Is there anything in the syntax apart from DTDs
Philip> which forces unique unordered attributes?

"WFC: Unique Att Spec" on production 40 forces uniqueness.  There's
no such constraint on orderedness, though you may be unable to use
standard parsers if you want to preserve order.