   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 8 Mar 2000 01:19:36 GMT

In article <XFMail.000307190708.morus.walter@gmx.de>,
Morus Walter <morus.walter@gmx.de> wrote:

>The test suite says test 'valid-sa-094' (from James Clarks test cases) to be
>not wellformed.

><!ATTLIST doc a1 CDATA "%e;">

The test is wrong.  Some people have interpreted the table in section
4.4 as saying that parameter entities are recognised in attribute
defaults, but this is fixed in erratum 41
(http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata#E41):

 Section 4.4

   Change the definition corresponding to "Reference in DTD" to read:
   "as a reference within either the internal or external subsets of
   the DTD, but outside of an EntityValue, AttValue, PI, Comment,
   SystemLiteral or PubidLiteral." (with suitable links).

>So if I have e.g. a NMTOKENS attribute 'a&#10;b' step one creates a\nb'
>(where \n denotes a linefeed).
>Now what is step two supposed to do? According to the spec nothing.
>However the testcase sa02 (from the sun test cases) says, that the result
>value for the attribute should be 'a b'.

The test does not match the spec, and I have asked for clarification
(by mailing the xml-editor address given in the spec).  I believe that
the answer *should* be that the normalised result is "a\nb" and that
this should be invalid (but well-formed).  It's invalid in SGML
because the result of expanding a character entity is treated as
character data and not as SPACE.

>If an element is declared empty and denoted by a start and an end tag,
>should it be allowed to have whitespace between the tags?

No.

Did you find an Oasis test that gets this wrong?

>And: if WS is allowed, how about comments or PIs?

Looking at the spec, it appears not.  This seems a little surprising
to me, since content models usually only restrict element and text
content.

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson