   Re: Questions on XML syntax and conformance issues

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 8 Mar 2000 23:26:42 GMT

>BTW: is there anywhere an updated version of the spec including the errata
>corrections?

No, but at some point there will be.

>So you would say, that `a b' should be invalid too?

No.  The normalised value is "a b", and that matches production 8.

Erratum 8 clarifies that the validity constraints are applied after
normalisation.

>Section 3.3.3 says, that attribute-value normalization takes place before
>checking of the value. And since "[8] Nmtokens ::= Nmtoken (S Nmtoken)" I
>would say, both 'a b' 'a
b' (checked as 'a b' and 'a\nb') are valid.

Right.  I think the spec should be changed to require that the
normalised value match a production with #x20 instead of S.  Otherwise
the normalisation doesn't have the obviously (!) intended effect of
passing the application a string of tokens separated by spaces.  And
in any case I believe this change is required for SGML compatibility.

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson