   RE: XML over HTTP: SOAP and ...?

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: <anderst@toolsmiths.se>, <haustein@kimo.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:21:06 -0500

Hi Anders

Anders said:
Why not ? Actually there are efforts underway to do just that.

Object Interface have a product called ORBExpress GT
 <http://www.ois.com/Products/Items/ORBexpressGT.htm>

with a total size below 200K, 168K for VxWorks.

Didier replies:
Simple question: How much will it cost to an ISV to create an application
that bundles their ORB? Have you made a cost comparison between soap based
apps and the one you mention? I went to the link you mentionned and wasn't
sure if the product is sold, and if yes for how much. Up to now, except for
some Open source ORB I didn't saw ones that where without any fees for the
run-time. Run-time fees prohibit large distribution.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)