   Re: schema by example

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: "XML Developers' list" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 18:16:57 -0500

At 02:45 PM 03/09/2000 +0000, Philip Nye wrote:
>Is anyone aware of an application which will read an XML document and
>produce a DTD or schema for it?

I've seen a couple of these. One is Mike Kay's DTDGenerator, a demo
application of his SAXON package. There's a Perlified front end to it
(written by Paul Tchistopolskii) at:
         http://www.pault.com/Xmltube/dtdgen.html
You enter the name of or browse to a local copy of the XML file, and it
returns a DTD.

The DTDGenerator page itself is at:
         http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/dtdgen.html

Am pretty sure IBM's alphaWorks has such a tool, too, but I don't know much
of anything about it beyond that.