   Re: namespace prefixes within attribute values

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: Ray Whitmer <ray@xmission.com>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:17:31 -0800

At 04:52 PM 3/9/00 -0700, Ray Whitmer wrote:
>Perhaps I missed something, but would this type of value become shredded if
>you save canonical XML, which reassigns all the prefixes but presumably
>does not know about namespaces in values represented by prefixes?
>
>Is that a problem?

Yes... in fact, if you were only thinking about the namespace spec, you ought
to feel free to rewrite namespace attributes any old time you want. For
example in canonical XML.  Ones that are hidden away in attribute values
won't get rewritten and hence will break.  One of the reasons I was against
this.  However, schemas, if there's a QName type, will help. -T.