   Re: namespace prefixes within attribute values

  • From: james anderson <james.anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:18:02 +0100

At some point, it may come to pass, that the world will admit, that XML
is not about serializing text.

Or, perhaps, that, of the things serialized, text is but a special case.
And that the standards, even as they now stand, demand various
additional first-class value domains. As reluctant as they are to admit
it. For example, for QNames. And form XPaths
("http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#node-tests"). Perhaps in the age of schemas
the "info-model" will be liberated from its "poor step child" status and
people will look back and ask "what were we thinking?"

David Megginson wrote:

> and there's no way to tell except through the relatively expensive
> path of consulting a schema.  While it's annoying for typists, it's
> generally a lot more robust to have
>
>   <doc:doc xmlns:doc="http://www.acme.com/doc/">
>    <doc:thing1 foo="http://www.acme.com/doc/x" bar="doc:y"/>
>   </doc:doc>
>
> At least now I can tell what's meant without a schema.

On the other hand, if the denoted "information item" is, in fact,
intended to be a qualified name, then the problem is just shifted to
recognizing, implementing, and enforcing a second standard serialization
for such things.

Can someone tell me if I will ever be able to robustly encode an XPath
which includes an attribute test on a QName node, without knowing the
target documents prefix-bindings-of-the-moment? I, for one, yearn for
better guarantees that a given link will survive the rigours of
cut-and-past or dynamic document generation, than  that the
"implentations are coming along".