   Re: Id vs. ID in SAX

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:34:56 -0500

At 10:37 AM -0800 3/9/00, jmbolles@ThoughtWorks.com wrote:
>The difference is Id is an abbreviation, where as URL is an acronym.

I'm not sure I believe that. I suspect in common American usage today
ID is a separate word that happens to be spelled in all caps.
Certainly it derives from an abbreviation for "identification" but I
think it's taken on a life of its own. Some dictionaries I've
consulted do list it as a separate word. Others do not list it at
all. Some even manage to list "ID card" but not "ID". My old edition
of the OED does not list ID as a separate word. It apparently came
into common use in the last few decades. Does anyone have a copy of
the latest edition handy? Or a subscription to the online version?

I also don't think that names of methods like getHttpUtils()
perfectly match this case. The abbreviation for the hypertext
transfer protocol is routinely spelled as both http and HTTP in the
literature. The former spelling can be used to justify the
getHttpUtils() style intercapped method name. On the other hand, if
you wrote the word "id" without caps most people would think you were
talking about Freudian psych-babble and not an identification.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |