   Re: xml -> myformat

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:36:42 +1100

Eric Smith wrote:

> I am looking for a commercial or open product / technology that converts
> a conforming xml document and xsl to standard document formats viz.
> PDF PS HTML.  It needs run on the win32 platform and be embeddible in a
> scripted routine.  So not an interactive application.

We use FrameMaker+SGML to do this via an API client. The XML is fed in then
converted to PDF and a file is handed back. You may have to do some work to
make FrameMaker+SGML think that it's getting SGML rather than XML, but it seems
likely that it will import XML soon and the conversion process is completely
non-interactive. The beauty is that a graphic designer does all of the layout
in a familiar environment rather than "by code".

> Our interest is in something that may form the core of our reporting
> engine.

We have several customers running systems for exactly that purpose. If anyone
wants a free copy of the source code for the API client, contact me directly.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au