   SAX2: XMLReaderFactory

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:28:16 -0500 (EST)

David Brownell writes:

 > > So what you want, I think, is simply a statement to the effect that
 > > it's OK to build your own XMLReaderFactory with the same class name
 > > and shadow the existing one?
 >
 > I want the "get the default parser" factory methods to permit using
 > environment-specific intelligence, rather than to preclude it as you
 > now do.  (I'm not sure what you mean by "shadow".)

I think we mean the same thing.

 > That's "just" a specification change, not a syntax change.

Here's what I'm going to do:

1. I will rename the current XMLReaderFactory to
   DefaultXMLReaderFactory.

2. I will create a new XMLReaderFactory that simply inherits from
   DefaultXMLReaderFactory, with a note that implementors are free to
   substitute their own class with the same interface for different
   requirements.

That means that an application can just use XMLReaderFactory to get
the implementation's behaviour (whatever it is), or can use
DefaultXMLReaderFactory to be certain that it's getting the current
behaviour.

Sounds OK?

All the best,

David