   SAX2: Namespace support

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@xml.org'" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:56:20 -0500 (EST)

Box, Don writes:

 > 2) NamespaceSupport needs to broken into an
 > interface/implementation pair (a la
 > Attributes/AttributesImpl). Ideally, I would like to be able to
 > swap in different implementations of NamespaceSupport for
 > performance reasons.

Wow.  I had thought of NamespaceSupport only as a convenience/helper
class for lazy SAX driver writers (most good programmers are lazy),
not as any kind of fundamental SAX interface.  Originally, I was going
to bury it in ParserAdapter, but then I thought that others might find
it useful as well.

I don't think I want to make this change, but I'm flattered that you
think so highly of what was really a four-hour hack.

 > Additionally, environments like C++ and COM don't lend themselves to having
 > classes shared across DLL boundaries,

Really?  I don't know about DLL's in particular, but I thought that a
C++ program was quite happy using classes from any library as long as
it could get at the header files somehow.  COM is a great mystery to
me, and will likely remain so.

 > 3) Minor nit. Wouldn't it be more convenient if the "rawName"
 > parameter/property were replaced with "prefix", especially since
 > doing so would create a nice correlation with the namespace
 > declaration events. Since the Name production of XML 1.0 doesn't
 > allow a Name to begin with a colon, there is no loss of
 > information, and it is simpler to catenate the two strings together
 > than it is to parse for the colon.

So you're suggesting not only a renaming but a change in the
information delivered.  I'm not sure that I see a big advantage either
way (someone's always going to suffer), so I'll probably leave things
in the most convenient form for non-Namespace users, who don't care
about the Namespace URI or local name.

I do think that rawName should be renamed, though.  What does DOM
level 2 use, again?

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/