   The next wave: patent your DTDs

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:17:13 -0800

Go to http://www.cxml.org, download CXML 1.0, which is a zip file, and in the
first file, Transport.mod, we find:

 <!--
    Copyright (c) 1996-1999 Ariba, Inc.
    All rights reserved. Patents pending.

    $Id: //ariba/specs/cXML/Transport.mod#23 $
 -->

It's interesting to note that the DTD is ambiguous and hence technically
not XML - I'm sure the USPTO will detect this.

I'm making an effort to let my amusement over the profound silliness of
patenting a DTD counteract my disgust at the business climate that makes
this kind of behavior thinkable.  -Tim