   Re: validating parser that understands PUBLIC id's

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: doyle@aps.org, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:38:03 -0800

> Does anyone have any suggestions out there for a validating parser that
> understands PUBLIC identifiers in the <!DOCTYPE> line?

Any SAX parser can be taught about them; just set them up with
an EntityResolver that tries to map a PUBLIC id to some more
local SYSTEM identifier.

>         prefer a simple command
> line program (I have little experience with Java - so a code snippet would
be
> helpful).

I don't know of any command line way to do that right off, though I'll
probably put one together soon since I've been wanting that very thing.

The real issue is what catalog format to use with the PUBLIC ids, for
which XML has no useful standard.  SOCAT has too many SGML-isms for my
taste; perhaps the format Xerces is using is the right one to use.

- Dave