   RE: standard compressed XML format?

  • From: "Paul R. Brown" <prb@fivesight.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:03:05 -0600

Although it is counter to XML principles, how about a DTD/Document processor
that is effectively a code obfuscator?  (Call it "obfuscompression".)

The algorithm would go like this:

1) Create a list of elements, attributes, etc., from the DTD.

2) Create a Huffman-type histogram on the tags used in the file -- or in
multiple files.

3) Build a Huffman-like code, assigning legal single letter codes to the 52
most common elements and attributes, (The best we can do is a single
character instead of a single bit..), two letter codes to the next 52^2 most
common, etc.

4) Create a new DTD and a processor in your favorite XML-friendly language
(Python, Java, Perl, XMLScript, etc.; I would probably choose Perl for this
one.) to obfuscompress XML files encoded in the original DTD.

No decompression required...

	- Paul