   RE: How far current XSLT processors will be useful in real applications?

  • From: "Simon Wilson" <Simon.Wilson@crealogix.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:29:06 +0200

Hi Ingo

> Danger, part 1. XML is not about closely coupled interfaces. Do I smell
> CORBA in your suggestion ? Integrating systems via direct, synchronous
> method calls on objects is a thing XML should overcome, and not perpetuate.
> Like http, XML draws its power from the exchange of self contained,
> stateless documents.

I think you might have missed the point. I don't see any additional coupling in
a system
where a data-source (DB, directory, whatever) provides an XML interface for the
interchange
of data directly to the client via DOM, without XML actually ever having existed
as a transmission
medium.

I'm not thinking Internet and I'm not thinking distribution. XML is getting used
everywhere
and is not limited to distributed applications. I'm thinking more about a
loosely coupled
system where data is exchanged between server and middle-ware via XML INSTEAD of
CORBA/DCOM. Objects and their associations/relationships are modelled using XML
schemae which
are specific to the project and not using some general mechanism like
SOAP/XML-RPC.

It just seems to me to be (more than) a little bit of a waste of time for a
server to generate
XML within such as system, pass it back to the caller and for the consumer to
not actually look
at it directly, but rather use a standardized interface such as DOM. You have
the overhead
of generating the XML on the server and parsing it on the receiving end.

Within such a system, the data consumer could do EXACTLY the same thing by just
accessing a DOM
interface on the server. The DOM would be dynamically built directly from the
underlying
storage/objects/data rather than generating XML as an intermediary step.

If the consumer wanted an actual XML document then he could create it using the
DOM as per usual.

Neither the server nor the client are more tightly coupled with any other part
of the system as a result.

'twas just a thought...

Simon