   xml search engine?

  • From: Reinout van Rees <rr@cti036.citg.tudelft.nl>
  • To: xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:43:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jean Marc VANEL wrote:

> I know the Xyleme project at www.inria.fr that is starting to
> develop an XML-aware Web search engine.

I couldn't find it on their website, do you have a pointer to
information? This is *very* interesting!

> But it is clear that such products would be of the uttermost
> importance to XML architectures, because of the flexibility that it
> provides: no need to register services and data, the XML search
> engine finds them anyway.

There is a problem I see for xml search engines. How are they going to
cope with all the various DTD's? They ARE going to cope, but what will
be the result? Will we have lots of small search engines searching for
information in all reinforced_concrete_supplier.dtd xml files it can
find and another for all medicine.dtd info? Will there be a few
standard elements in most DTD's to comply to some emerging behaviour
of all search engines? There are so many ways this could work out. Any
opinions?

greetings,

Reinout

--