   permanent info set dynamic content aggregation

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:32:39 -0500

Hi,

Not to stay isolated in my labs, and get some news from the external world
:-) Does anybody have implemented or is implementing a permanent information
set engine. If yes, does this engine support dynamic inclusion of external
content. so to speak, does the engine allows aggregation of external
content. In other words to do what the xinclude:include element is supposed
to do but this time in the context of a permanent information set.

If you implemented a permanent information set, have you tried to transform
a fragment of the information set into an other format using an XSLT engine?
Up to now, I have found that in the C++ world msxml allows you to do that
quite easily but I am curious to know if others have been successful to
transform a fragment of a permanent information set into an other format
(let's say XHTML or WML).

I have just finished an xinclude:include interpreter that includes on the
fly moreover news feed into an xml document. As you have guessed I am
experimenting network latencies when I have several xinclude constructs but
with local caching of the included document (especially if the included
document is coming from an external HTTP server) the problem is partially
resolved if the server provides a good time to live to the requested xml
document. So, does anybody implemented an xinclude engine and if yes, I am
interested to share our experience and learn from fellow XML developers.

As soon as my demo server is up, I'll post the URL so that you'll be able to
see the xinclude:include element in action to aggregate XML content like for
instance news feed or search engines replies (in xml format). I still need
first to finish my alta vista and Thunderstorm wrapper (returns xlinks
extended elements for each topic requested) By the way, who knows a search
engine that provides a web service taking a URL as input and gives back an
XML document, I guess that the XML document would contain custom elements,
xlinks or rdf elements. But I am curious to know what is out there that
provides this kind of service and experiment with it.

thank a lot for your help.
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)