   RE: xml search engine?

  • From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Walter Underwood" <wunder@infoseek.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 13:14:52 -0500

Hi Walter,

Walter said:
Ultraseek Server has been doing that for about a year. We added it
to the text/plain parsable format that we've had for three years.

Didier replies:
What is the DTD or schema of the returned XML document? Is it RDF based?
xlink based? (probably not xlink based since it is too recent). If you
return an RDF based XML document, then what are the properties included in
each <rdf:description about="...."> elements?

Walter said:
Surprisingly, the XML format has almost no advantages over text/plain
in practice (and it was my idea).

Didier replies:
Why are you saying that? If I am receiving the result of a request packaged
as an RDF or xlink document I can use an XSLT style sheet to transform it
into a rendition language. I can use a generic RDF or generic xlink XSLT
style sheet to be re-used anytime I encouter an RDF or xlink document to be
transformed. Hence, I can pick from a library of XSLT style sheets for
either RDF or xlink and import it into my own style sheet. Basically, this
implies re-use of code and therefore reduced costs. So, why in practice the
returned XML document has no advantages over text/plain?

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)