   Re: need for defining standard APIs for xml storage

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, <laurawalker@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:01:54 -0700

Parts of the thread about standard APIs for XML storage seem to have fallen
into a black hole. Searching the xml-dev digest's author index for gopi
(gopi@aztecsoft.com), I find neither his original post nor his replies. The
question and reply (below) seem to have dropped into a hole.

In an earlier message, I noted that some companies are developing ODBC and
JDBC drivers for XML files. This elicited a reply from gopi:

> If I am not understanding it wrong, these drivers will be similar to XQL
or
> XPath processor, in general another "Query Processor".

Not exactly. If an ODBC or JDBC client connects to an SQL server such as
Informix, DB2, Oracle, etc., the storage engine and query optimizer are part
of the SQL server. For a data source such as a text or XML file, that's not
the case. There is no database engine or optimizer in a text file, so a
driver for that type of data source includes an optimizing SQL engine.

All of this is transparent to your source code. There's more info in a DBMS
magazine article (March 1994):
http://www.dbmsmag.com/9403d13.html