   Re: Parser Behaviour (serious)

  • From: "Simon Wilson" <Simon.Wilson@crealogix.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org, bckman@ix.netcom.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:37:22 +0200

Frank said:

> For XHTML only, if you change the suffix to 'htm' you will not get this
> behavior. In the XHTML WG we were a little worried that when XHTML became
> popular as XML the W3C site would not be able to cope with all the calls to
> the DTD!

Weren't you just a little bit worried that if someone hacked the w3c site and,
for example, made an optional attribute required, that it would break the entire
web???

Imagine if all those XML-based B2B systems out there referenced external
entities on external web-sites. Hack the site, change or remove the DTD/schema
and a lot of companies are losing a lot of money.

As a result, I think you'll find that most people with their wits about them
will be taking a copy of standardized DTDs and referencing that instead in order
to prevent such things from happening.

Simon Wilson

Software Engineer
Crealogix AG