   RE: Parser Behaviour (serious)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 16:38:28 -0400

At 08:48 AM 4/3/00 +0100, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>So my summary is:
>	-[...lots...]
>	- We have a serious problem.
>
>My invitation is for someone or some group to describe exhaustively what
>the problem(s) actually are. It might be that we can then all agree on
>appropriate behaviour under every combination.

I'm not sure if it will help enough, but some of us on SML-DEV have been
looking at these problems from a different direction.  We presented this
'Common XML' at XTech  - see
http://www.docuverse.com/smldev/xtech2000/cxml.html or
http://www.docuverse.com/smldev/xtech2000/ for more info on SML-DEV work in
general.

We've all been rather busy, but we're finally getting some text together.
This is rough material, which I'm hoping will see substantial revision in
the next few weeks or months, but I think the basic concepts (starting with
a simple core, then building out, primarily) come through.

Intro: http://www.egroups.com/message/sml-dev/2771
Core: http://www.egroups.com/message/sml-dev/2983
Extending: http://www.egroups.com/message/sml-dev/2985

These are preliminary and don't yet represent anything like a consensus
vision, or at least I have no grounds on which to claim that they do.

I'd like to see interoperability (i14y?) hammered out so we can stop
talking about these issues so often, but I realize that may well be difficult.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, though I don't have any time in my
schedule this week for flame wars.  Maybe next week!

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com