   Re: xml search engine?

  • From: "Martin Bryan" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • To: <martind@netfolder.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:09:04 +0100

> Didier replied:
> So, in the proposed framework, this would be one of the possible query space
> an information set engine may offer. I should say however that, a big chunck
> of the desired query (i.e the query you are mentionning) is already
> addressed by xpath.

Exactly! Once you think about applying xpath patterns to the indexing of queries it beocmes a resuse of something you already have to do for XSL. The only thing really missing is the namespace point, which is what you need to ensure that you avoid trying to query things that use the same names but in a different context.

You suggest node_set = object.selectNodes("MartinBryanQuery", query)

What about node_set = object.selectNodes(namespace, element, attribute, content)

(QueryType is really not needed if you are specifically trying to query XML data. The namespace identifies the set of indexables. OK, you might want a generalized mechanism that allowed you to use something like SQL, but this would not rely on context in any way, so your "non-XML-aware" version might work in those circumstances.)

Martin Bryan