   Re: A call for XML 1.1

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 13:43:43 -0400

At 4:59 PM +0800 4/4/00, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:

>I think XML should be bent to fit in with people's expectations: it
>would be better to get rid of the standalone concept and limit XML to 2
>flavours only:
>
> * Basic XML 1.1: No markup declarations, but with namespace, xml:base
>and xml:include support
> * DTD-Valid XML 1.1: Markup declarations, all entities dereferenced,
>valid.
>Support of namespaces, xml:base, xml:include  and external sourcing of
>identifiers (i.e. CATALOG).

I'm not sure. I personally find invalid XML plus DTDs to be very
useful. In particular I like it for the ability to declare internal
parsed entities like &copy; or &alpha;. Would you really suggest we
throw those away and just replace them with character references in
invalid documents?

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |