   RE: Document Feature Requirements [was: Common XML ...]

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@docuverse.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 01:18:00 -0700

Some random thoughts:

1. if the document is hand-edited, it is just too easy for
   feature manifest to get out of sync.

2. if the document is generated by a program (not a generic
   editor), feature manifest per document instances will not
   vary much.

3. Generic XML editors will have to be feature minifest aware.

4. Alternative to PI is another document preceding the target
   document.  That is preceding document configures the parser
   for documents following the features manifest document.

FYI, Min (my Minimal XML parser) introduces a new parse()
method which can be used to parse multiple documents (fragments
if you will).  It will also avoid closing streams it did not
open itself.  I think these two features are needed for data-
centric SAX applications.

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark@docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com