   Re: Id vs. ID in SAX

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uogbuji@ogbuji.net>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 20:30:10 -0600

> I've been getting increasingly flustered about the constant use of the
> the initial capped "Id" to refer to an identification instead of the
> all-cap "ID". This occurs throughout the SAX APIs in both method
> arguments and method names. Somehow this just looks wrong to me. I know
> the DOM does it too, but I think they're wrong as well.
>
> Since the word ID is capitalized in common usage, it should be
> capitalized in Java names as well. This is similar to how URL is
> captialized in class names like java.net.URL and method names like
> getURL() in the Java core library.
>
> This is actually a pretty big change to suggest. Most of the offenders
> are method argument names that can be changed without affecting anyone.
> However, there are also a lot of method names like getPublicId()
> scattered throughout SAX2.
>
> What do people think? Is anyone else having the immediate gut reaction
> that these names are misspelled that I get when I read the
> documentation?

I'm very late to this argument (just catching up again), but I was compelled
to immediate and violent disagree.  I have always advocated treating acronyms
and abbreviations as words for purposes of capitalization in code standards.

For instance, our internal standards demand the following naming patterns:

SaxToDomHandler

DeployNatoJstarsAndAwacs

and of course

GetObjectById

I find this far more readable than DeployNATOJSTARSAndAWACS and the like.

In fact, I have the opposite problem with the W3C DOM group: that they got
"GetElementsById()" right but DOMImplementation wrong.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that consistency is important regardless
of aesthetic preference.

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Senior Software Engineer
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               (303)583-9900 x 101