   RE: LISTRIVIA: Mail archives

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:13:23 +0100

Not as far as I'm aware, although it would be extremely useful!

[ archive problems removed ]
> There must be something wrong with the archive software I suppose.

The xml.org archives are unfortunately broken in a number of ways.
There are the obvious date problems, as well as with subjects (the
thread urls point to the wrong file increment after about 2/3rds of
the alphabet)

Of course then there's the issue of the delay in updating the archive,
although the updates do seem to be slightly more frequent than were
originally.

The XML-DEV archives are in a generally sorry state. I'd advise
you to use Imperial College archives [1] for everything before Jan 2000.
It has a search engine (scroll way down the page) which is fairly useful.

The egroups.com archive [2] is not too bad once you get used to it,
and has a search function. Although for some reason their archive stopped
getting up dated on 3rd April. (I've mailed them, but have had no response).

The xml.org archives [3] is what we're left with after that.

I'm hoping to add a search engine to eclectic some time in the near future.

It's vital the archives get sorted out, particularly if we want to maintain
a useful record of XML-DEV discussions. (Perhaps I'm having more trouble
than most, seeing as I'm digging around in there on a daily basis.) The
delays
in list traffic are another issue, but I won't harp on about it.

If there's something particular you're looking for then let me know,
I'm amassing a list of useful pointers which I occasionally inject
into discussions.

Cheers,

L. (trying not to sound too frustrated).

[1] http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
[2] http://www.egroups.com/messages/xml-dev
[3] http://www.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/

--
Leigh Dodds, Software Engineer       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitates"