   Tag for every column in every row

  • From: Yihpyng Kuan <kuan3rd@yahoo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

I am new to XML, I have a question here, I wonder if
anyone can shed some light on it, many thanks.

If I have a table T1(F1 char(10), F2 char(10));
I have 3 rows for this table.
The XML representation of this would like this -

<Table>T1
 <Metadata>
  <Column>F1
     <Datatype>CHAR
        <Length>10
        </Length>
     </Datatype>
  </Column>
  <Column>F2
     <Datatype>CHAR
        <Length>10
        </Length>
     </Datatype>
  </Column>
 </Metadata>
 <Data>
   <Row 1>
     <F1>data 1</F1>
     <F2>data 2</F2>
   </Row>
   <Row 2>
     <F1>data 3</F1>
     <F2>data 4</F2>
   </Row>
   <Row 3>
     <F1>data 3</F1>
     <F2>data 4</F2>
   </Row>
 </Data>
</Table>

I probably have some typo here. But, the problem I see
here is "if I have 100 rows of data, the above XML
would repeat this row information with those redundant
tags 100 times", isn't this a waste ? or, it actually
is not efficient ? Any better alternative ?

Many thanks in advance.

Yihpyng Kuan
4/10/2000
RWC