   RE: Namespace question

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Dylan Walsh <Dylan.Walsh@TSS.ie>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:38:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Dylan Walsh wrote:

> 	>- You don't choose the namespace prefix -- that's up to the person
>     >who's writing the document.
>
> I am under the impression that if when an XML parsers and DTD do not
> distinguish the namespace prefix from the name of an element, that is if the
> namespace prefix is "a" in the DTD, I use the prefix "b" in my document (but
> it points to the same namespace URL), my document won't validate. Is this
> correct?

You're correct.  <!ELEMENT> and <!ATTLIST> declarations deal with element
and attribute names at the purely lexical level and treat QNames as
literal strings.  Additionally, xmlns-style attributes must be declared on
all elements that can take them (usually by restricting them to certain
places and declaring them with #FIXED defaults).