   Re: Implementation of OFX in XML

  • From: Eric Bohlman <ebohlman@netcom.com>
  • To: Abhishek Srivastava <abisheks@india.hp.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Abhishek Srivastava wrote:

> The downloaded the OFX DTD from the ofx.net web site.
> However, the DTD defines some tags like
>
> <!ELEMENT (SIGNONMSGSRQV1, SIGNONMSGSRQV2)    - - (SONRQ , PINCHTRNRQ?,
> CHALLENGETRNRQ?)>
>

> I am not aware as to what the "- -" means in a XML DTD.
> I am not sure whether the above tag is a well formed xml tag.

There's no "tag" there.  What you have is an SGML element declaration
which relies on a couple of SGML features which did not make it into
XML: the ability to declare the content of multiple element types in a
single declaration, and the use of tag omission (the facility that allows,
among other things, certain HTML elements to have optional closing
tags).  The two dashes mean that neither the opening nor closing tags for
the two elements being defined can be omitted.  In XML you'd need to
declare the two element types separately and omit (hehe) the omissibility
specification:

<!ELEMENT SIGNONMSGSRQV1 (SONRQ , PINCHTRNRQ?, CHALLENGETRNRQ?)>
<!ELEMENT SIGNONMSGSRQV2 (SONRQ , PINCHTRNRQ?, CHALLENGETRNRQ?)>