   Re: Foreign Names

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:15:55 -0400

At 08:39 PM 4/16/00 +0800, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:
>I would hope that the advent of namespaces can allow more extending
>of schemas, even though the base schema may well be in English
>acronyms. (B.t.w., I think XML Schemas does provide support for
>multilingual architectures--these are not marked up explicitly
>but derived during document traversal: I think an XML Schema
>with abstract elements is nothing more than a base architecture.
>In practise, you define your Schema in the canonical language,
>then derive [by reproduction, on draft said] various concrete
>DTDs using native-language tagnames. Your abstract schema
>says "potato" and my concrete schema says "potato".)

This is a very plausible claim about schemas, but it's not something made
explicit by the document.

It seems that i18n is enough of a priority at the W3C to make this story
worth an example or discussion in the draft - otherwise we may be stuck
with varying interpretations of how exactly this should happen.

I also wonder, though, if some simpler mechanism for providing such limited
translation facilities might be sensible.  The information being handled
isn't wildly complex (though Rick's note about attributes and adjectives is
intriguing), and I'm not sure that using the full power of Schemas is the
most efficient or the most effective way to go about this small project.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com