   RE: Foreign Names

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:42:40 +0100

> My understanding is that most software engineers, no matter where they
> are, can read English well enough to distinguish and infer enough
> meaning from English element types to use them.

I have met many good software engineers in Japan whose knowledge of English
is almost nil. Your parochial impressions are created entirely by the fact
that you don't communicate with these people, and most of your information
comes from sources that don't communicate with them either, e.g. how many US
academic papers ever cite an article written in Japanese?

I have also met many people who strongly resent the US dominance of the
world software industry, and I suspect this resentment is greatly fuelled by
clumsy attempts to impose the English language (as well as nonsense like
inches) on people who don't want it.

Mike Kay