   open/closed content model of XML schema (last call WD)

  • From: "David Valera" <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:40:10 +0200

hello all,

as I am preparing myself to write an XML schema, I have the following
remark:

In the first draft of XML schema (6-May-1999) there was the possibility to
define a content model that was open, closed or refinable. To quote XML.com:

--- start quote ----
"Refinable archetypes, or "inheritance". This is probably the most
significant new feature in XML Schemas.

A content model defined by a DTD can be described as "closed": it describes
all and only what may appear in the content of the element. XML Schema admit
two other possibilities: "open" and "refinable". In an open content model,
all required elements must be present, but it is not an error for additional
elements to also be present. A refinable content model is the middle ground:
additional elements may be present, but only if the schema defines what they
are. (Consider a schema that extends another: it might refine the content
model of some element type to add new elements.)"
---- end quote -----

In the latest WD of XML schema this open closed content model is not
supported anymore and has made place for complextypes (as someone explained
to me).

My question is: how can I implement an open-like content model using XML
schema? Is this possible with the current draft? if not, is it possible to
have one standard schema and one or more extensions to that schema that will
be used as needed?

I don't know if it is clear what my question is. If not let me know and I
will try to explain with more detail.

tia for any help on this issue...

David Valera