   Re: XML terminology [was Re: Pontifications on the Perversity of Pedant

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: ",XML-DEV (E-mail)" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:32:49 -0500

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Formal notation is a Good Thing. Readable prose is a Good Thing. But let's
> not pretend that English prose is a precise, formal language.

I don't think that the problem was prose.

Even though I railed against the infoset for being prose-based the
deeper problem with XML 1.0 is that many people explicitly denied the
need for a formal data model. There are still people who think that
ambiguities in the model behind the XML specification are helpful
rather than harmful.

Most W3C specifications still do not have a formal data model. "First
you need to admit that you have a problem."

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html