   RE: Pontifications on the Perversity of Pedantry, Punditry, and Purple

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "'Michael Champion'" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>, ",XML-DEV (E-mail)" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:26:07 +0100

> Is there any chance that future versions of the XML
> Recommendation and/or the InfoSet will deprecate the weird terminology in
favor of the conventional language of mathematics/software engineering?
> ... e.g., call a tag a "tag" and an "XML element information item" a
"node" like God
> intended?  ;~)

Whatever they do, I sincerely hope that <a> and <a> will be two different
tags with the same type/name. And I also hope that any future standards will
have fewer ambiguities and vaguenesses than the current specs, rather than
more. Everyday language, which is very good at using the same word to mean
different things and different words to mean the same thing depending on the
context, has no place in standards.

Mike Kay